Friday, March 18, 2011

Genuine & Freely Given Service

After our study last night, I couldn't help but keep thinking about this one section from what we read.
This was so encouraging to me (especially after I just got finished having a hassle with my mom about who was going to wake up at midnight to help my sister take her pain killer.) Yes... I was in need of being reminded AGAIN, and thankfully my mom was there to do that.

Our Father does this for each and every one of us out of His purely divine goodness and mercy towards us.

All of our works (or actions) should be guided by one thought alone- that we may serve and benefit others in everything that is done, having nothing else before our eyes except the need and advantage of the neighbor. A true Christian life is one where faith is active in love. A Christian way of thinking is "Although I am unworthy and a condemned person, my God has given me in Christ all the riches of righteousness and salvation without any merit on my part. God has done this in an act of free and pure mercy so that I now need nothing except faith that trusts that is true. Given such a Father - who overwhelms me with riches beyond number - why should I not freely, joyfully, with all my heart and an eager will, do things that I know are pleasing and acceptable to Him? I will therefore give myself as a Christ to my neighbor, just as Christ offered Himself to me. I will do nothing in this life except what is profitable, necessary, and life-giving for my neighbor, since through faith I have an abundance of ALL good things in Christ."

From faith flows love, and from love proceeds a joyful, willing, and free mind that serves the neighbor and takes no account of gratitude or ingratitude, praise or blame, gain or loss. As our Heavenly Father freely spent himself on us, giving all things to both the ungrateful and deserving, we freely spend ourselves and all that we have on others.

2 comments:

  1. This is such good news. Your application to this passage is another good reason why we have a Bible study and friends to remind us daily. Hoping to have another Bible study this week:)

    Sarah Hill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I don't know if we will have a study this week, but thankfully we can talk about this even outside the study...(coffee :D) It is always encouraging to hear what people your own age are learning and seeing through reading this book. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete